How to Lose Fat By Accident (Part 4)...


Carbs, carbs, everywhere... but not a morsel to eat.


As I mentioned in the last post, the book proposed a controlled intake of carb (carbohydrate) and sugar. For those who are tuning in the first time, I was in a quest to disprove a weight-loss system. However, finding food conveniently with the required carb and sugar content is like finding half a needle in a hay mount. And so, I decided to adapt a little. I rationalized that even if I did not follow the system to the letter, I should still see SOME results IF the system worked at all. Even if I gained back some weight I was willing to admit that I did not manage to disprove the system adequately.

Sugar
The system was extremely strict on sugar intake. I decided I can do this. I told myself, ZERO sugar. For the first three days, it felt like I was perpetually eating bitter medicine. The system proposed sucralose as an alternative. This substitute was virtually non-existent where I live. So I researched a little bit and found that given the health pluses and minuses, saccharin (sodium saccharin, to be exact) is the next best alternative. But I limited myself to 3 pellets per day or go without it some other days.

Carbohydrate
I told myself - ZERO carbohydrate also. It was like a resolve. Every now and then, some carb would creep into my dishes, but with the resolve, the amount that creeps in would be significantly less than what I would usually eat. In particular, I would not consume rice, noodles, pasta, all forms of pastries, all forms of flour based food, all kinds of grains and potatoes and similar tubers (is that what they call it?)... at least for now.

Vegetables, Tubers and Fruits
There are only a select few vegetables that are allowed liberally. The rest are limited. I was not any more excited about counting carbs than counting calories, so I decided not to go by this strictly. However, my greens were limited to broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, purple cabbage, iceberg lettuce and spinach. Every now and then, I would also add in mushrooms.

Milk and Yogurt
Milk is prohibited. The reason: not fat but lactose - a sugar 'family'. I am lactose intolerant but I can still tolerate small amounts of milk. I did not really hold back on this but I consumed about two helpings per day as a creamer in my tea and decaff. Some days not at all. I would like to add here that by drinking tea, I am actually going against one of the rules of the system.

Other Ingredients
These ingredients can be used in rotation in dishes: meat (beef), chicken, turkey, egg, fish, prawn and shrimp, egg. I used these as main course with larger than normal portions of vegetables, tubers and fruits.

Seasoning
I used half the amount of salt I usually do. The book did not say much about salt as the main focus is about controlling carbs and sugar at this point. At times, I substitute salt with liquid aminos. And I usually dowse my food with herbs and spices for taste.

Drinks
Mostly water and tea - either hot or cold. Occasionally bottled and canned drinks using substitute sweetener - very occasionally as a treat. Again, bottles and canned drinks, especially sodas are frowned upon by the system. But since the main issues are carbs and sugar, and these drinks a extremely low on both, I used them as occasional treats to break the lack of variety. Though I went against the rules, I must emphasize that I still read the ingredients and the nutritional facts label and picked the ones that broke the rules LEAST. Now, you need to be honest on this and not deceive yourself into making choices that are overboard.

Cooking Method
I would stir fry in olive or canola oil, steam in microwave with a little water or boil in a stock based watery soup. I am not a cook so I can only do simple cooking. For those of you who can cook better, well, I guess you are luckier.

Much of the restrictions apply to the first two weeks of the 'Induction' phase. After that, there is some loosening up. I must emphasize the word 'some'. In the next entry, I will list down my typical menus from breakfast to after dinner snack.

No comments: