Cigarette Smoking is OKAY...



Or is it? Read and decide. They say if nicotine from a single cigarette goes direct into your bloodstream, you will die. And since you don’t die from smoking a single stick, it also shows how much your lungs take the beating for you. I was with a dear friend yesterday and he voiced to me his concern that, of late, his cigarette consumption has increased. He asked me what he could do about it. I don’t smoke but I supposed he wanted a piece of my insight on how to change habits. Just as he said that, he lit a cigarette and started smoking. I smiled. My response to his question was something to the effect of, ‘I see’.

The reason I’m writing about this is because smoking reduces the effects of taking vitamin supplements or eating healthful foods. Often, health professionals would advice people who smoke to take extra doses of supplements, eat more healthful foods or… the most obvious but most difficult (perceived or real), stop burning the stick.

Changing a comfortable routine (or addiction or habit or bondage or whatever you can term it), very often requires a multi-pronged approach. It requires you to know yourself too. Are you the kind who gives up easily at the first sign of failure? If so, it helps to work on your expectations. Are you the kind who needs to go with the group you are in? If so, it helps to work on your view of acceptance. The behavior of smoking looks simple but the underlying drive can run deep. Often, the person has lost sight of his or her own underlying issues that support the habit. It has partially become, well, automatic. I am one who proposes that you need to become aware of your behaviors, thoughts, environment and triggering cues when you want to change certain things. When you first started to learn something, you are aware of everything that you do – go back to when you first drive a car, or ride a bike. Then, it becomes automatic and second nature. In learning NOT to smoke, you may need you go back and become that much aware again of your internal and external conditions surrounding your habits and act or think differently. Is lighting that cigarette a certain way giving you a kick? Is it the exquisite lighter? Why that brand? Does the way you put that stick in your mouth add to the pleasure? Such questions may not even come across the mind of the doer, but it can reveal that hidden demon, bring it into the light and then you can slay (or tame) it. Whichever way, it is difficult if it's hiding in the dark.

One tactic that I came across from a fellow blogger (
Ways to Stop Smoking) is, delay. This is, perhaps, more about reducing the number of sticks smoked. I realized that I had unknowingly used it when I was experimenting with losing weight. During the morning break at work, I often have the urge to munch on toast but I tell myself: ‘Great. I’ll have it for lunch’. Then, I settle for a cup of tea with milk for breakfast.

Okay. Enough of some background information. So, is smoking okay? If you don't think so, then you'll receive more practical tips which you can put into action here:
Ways to Stop Smoking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a while there I thot you must be nuts to endorse smoking LOL. I am totally for being self aware if u wanna ovecome certain things. Cool insight man!

The Post Editor said...

Hi there anon. Thanks for dropping by. You really think I would endorse smoking?.. hehehehe Awareness is the first step to control, I guess.